Tuesday, March 13, 2018

March 4th, 2018

Dear Family and Friends,

If we are not in the doghouse, we should be, for not writing in so long. Much has happened in the last few weeks. I know you thought we might be laying on the beach in the warm Caribbean sun, sipping our pina coladas and listening to the waves lapping the sandy shore, but we assure you that has not been the case.

Our last round trip of the mission had some definite highlights; our favorites being time spent with our missionaries and their investigators. One night in Bonaire, Dad was teaching with the Dutch sisters and I was teaching with the Spanish sisters. Both of us had memorable experiences that strengthened our testimonies.

I was privileged to meet a recent convert Nurys. When we arrived, the sisters introduced her to me as the Mission President's wife. She said that made her nervous and she was happy that I would visit her humble home. As the lesson began, the sisters asked her how she had enjoyed her reading in the Book of Mormon. She jumped up to get her scriptures and came back clutching them to her heart. She began sharing how much she loved the Book of Mormon and the prophet Alma's teachings. Then she raised her hands in the air and began tearfully thanking the Lord for the Book of Mormon, her decision to be baptized and the gratitude she had for the restored gospel. It was a sacred experience. I felt like I was intruding on her private conversation with the Savior. I want to be her when I grow up!
These new converts are so pure and clean and I want to ride their coat tails into heaven.

When we were in Aruba, we were able to attend both the Spanish and the English branch. After church, Dad took some pictures of street art. They were amazing wall murals and were really beautiful. I'm not sure the photos will do them justice.

In Curacao we were able to witness a baptism and also look for a mission home and office. The Area has been by to look at our suggested properties and the real estate powerpoint should be in SLC by now awaiting decision. We will probably relocate the mission home and office within 2 months, due to the lack of missionary permit approvals in Trinidad. It is sad since the mission home has been home to the last 8 mission presidents.

We were also privileged to have Elder Kearon and Elder Zivic and their wives visit Trinidad for a day. They are both in the First Quorum of the Seventy and took the time to have a devotional and lunch with us and our missionaries. It was wonderful to meet them and listen to their inspired counsel. Elder Kearon actually lives in our Stake. He and his wife bought the Mecham's home in the Ashley Park ward. Small world!

Last week we held a mission-wide Mission Leadership Council in Trinidad. Dad flies the missionary leaders (Assistants, Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders) in from all the areas of the mission three times a year. We enjoyed hearing about each of their areas, their goals and challenges impacting the work. I taught about leadership qualities and Dad focused his remarks on Joseph Smith, the restoration of the gospel and conducted a question and answer period that the missionaries really enjoyed.

Our plate is full and so are our hearts. We are grateful for the gospel and your support and prayers.

Love, Trini and Dad








No comments:

Post a Comment