Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March 13th, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

It has been a hectic transfer week. The number of missionaries coming and going has changed daily as we were trying to decide whether or not the immigration department in Port of Spain would allow our missionaries to enter. We had had a traumatic immigration experience with our last senior couple, the Gertsch's. They were sent back to the US because they wanted more documentation.....so things were a bit stressful. They ended up coming a week later and are in Guyana waiting for their Overseas Missionary Permits to be granted.

We ended up receiving only 2 into Trindad and they are young women from Trinidad and Suriname who are visa waiters trying to get to their final mission destinations in the Netherlands and Canada. The other 2 missionaries who were Spanish speaking were sent directly to Aruba and Bonaire and we haven't met them officially yet. But at least they are safe and sound and hard at work. We had 3 outgoing missionaries and they will be missed. One was an assistant, Elder Sheen, and we had gotten very close to him. Dad also had to send his first missionary home and that was heartbreaking for all concerned. I hope we don't have to do that very often. 

Today Dad is at the hospital with one of our missionaries who flew up from Guyana this morning with a seizure disorder. They are going to be doing a CT scan and an EEG and then determine the best agenda for him. So, it is never boring around here!

We have a missionary from Micronesia that had not heard from his family in 7 months. We have tried to correspond with his Stake President for help but he is a fisherman and is gone during the week. We looked up the mission president for the area and it was John Zarbock who coached softball with Dad for so many years. Dad called him and asked if any of his missionaries would be able to go to his parents home and wait while a letter or two was written to their son. It just happened to be zone conference week and he would be seeing the missionaries from that area the next day. They were able to pick up 2 letters and President Zarbock scanned them and sent them to us within a day of being written. When Dad gave them to Elder Lorenzo he sobbed uncontrollably and fell into Dad's arms thanking him. It was very emotional witnessing it and confirmed the importance of family support when you are serving.

We had 3 baptisms in Trinidad this week. The services were great and the investigators that attended certainly felt the spirit. It was a great way to end a very busy week. Today we attended church where two of the new members were confirmed. After church we took Elder Perez to the neurologist to have his sleep deprivation test and then had him and the assistants over for lunch. It was not a day of rest, but we were grateful to partake of the sacrament and renew our covenants as we begin a new week.

We love you all,
Trini and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment