Monday, January 25, 2016

December 16th, 2015

Dear family and friends,

Probably the busiest week so far on the mission. It started in Curacao with a district meeting with the missionaries, followed by interviews with members.Then on to Bonaire for a Zone Meeting with the entire ABC island zone and missionaries.These are actually Iive video conferences so that all 16 missionaries are able to participate from each island. Mom taught with the sisters that night and I went with the elders to contact less active Melchizedek priesthood holders.  We helped one of the less active members install windows as we invited him to return to church. He promised that he and his family would come to church after we helped him install and caulk three or four windows. He also promised the elders dinner next month when his house is finished. 
Aruba was our next destination for three days. I had been contacted earlier in the week by Naomi Witcher who had been a sister missionary on Temple Square when grandpa and grandma served on Temple Square.She was on Aruba for the week and wanted us to meet her father who spoke Dutch and had not been to church for quite some time.He came to church on Sunday and he remembered grandpa and grandma and their visit to Aruba almost 20 years ago.In Aruba, talks in Sacrament meetings are generally given in Spanish or Papiamento but since Naomi's father spoke Dutch, I spoke in Dutch.He promised to come to church again next week.That night we held a video conference leadership meeting with the branch presidencies of the three ABC islands. They have never been trained before as to what their responsibilities are. Most of them have only been members for 3 or 4 years. They are very eager to learn and are grateful for the chance they have to serve.

After our tour wrapped up we were headed back to Trinidad to pick up 14 incoming missionaries. We beat them back to Trinidad by one hour and Mom quickly whipped up a midnight snack before the next day of training and orientation. After they were sent to their new companions the following day, we had two missionaries who were going home. Since there were only two, we decided to alter the normal day and take them on a Swamp tour. We saw a boa, some caimans, four eyed fish and the return of scarlet ibis, blue herons, and white  egrets to the mangrove at sunset. It was pretty fascinating. Then we took the missionaries to dinner and back to the mission home for a fireside and testimony meeting.  They actually just left their exit interviews with me and leave in the morning at 5:30 am. Mom is wiping the floor with her tears as saying goodbye to our missionaries is always hard!

Tomorrow evening we pick up our new senior couple that are from Norway and orient them as to their job description. It sure is good that we don't have any time on our hands...what would we do? It's hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we realize that the best gift that we have in this life is our family!

Love Trini and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment